Michael Major - Career Highlights
My professional career spans over 25 years and includes communication-related projects on four continents. I have used various media, including still photography, film, print and website to tell messages primarily in, but not limited to, agricultural and environmental themes.
- 1980. Graduated with high honors from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point with major degree in biology and minor degrees in environmental education, writing and museum methodology.
- 1981-83. Served as US Peace Corps Volunteer in Costa Rica. Assigned to the Universidad Estatal a Distancia (UNED) and Fundacion de Paraques Nacionales to promote awareness via audiovisuals regarding the importance of the infant national park system in Costa Rica.
- 1983-86. Agricultural and environmental communications consultant and freelance photographer. Offered services to national, international and non-profit organisations in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Honduras.
- 1986-87. Completed a Master of Science in agricultural journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and graduated with highest honors. Conducted MSc. thesis research entitled Participatory Communication in Development: Integrating Women into Forestry Projects in Costa Rica.
- 1988-90. Film scriptwriter and photography instructor for the Department of Agricultural Journalism, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 1990-1993. Training Materials Specialist and Head of Graphic Arts and Photography Divisions at the International Centre for Dryland Agriculture (ICARDA) in Aleppo, Syria.
- 1993-1995. Agricultural Communications Specialist based in Cali, Columbia. Principal client was the Center for International Tropical Agriculture (CIAT). Began work in website development during the days of the infancy of the World Wide Web.
- 1995-2004. Editor, Winetitles, Adelaide, Australia. Served as editor of The Australian and New Zealand Wine Industry Journal and The Australian and New Zealand Wine Industry Directory. Created Winebiz, the website development division of Winetitles. Won Gold Ladle at the 1999 World Food Media Awards for Best Wine or Beverage CD-ROM or Website. Awarded Bell Award in 2002 and 2003 for Australia's Best Printed Directory.
- 2004-present. Director of Michael Major Media Pty Ltd.